Copyright © Christian Counseling and Wellness. All Rights Reserved.
Christian Counseling and Wellness
What is Christian Counseling? Christian counseling is a process that involves a three way relationship between you, the counselor and God. Taking that first step by making an appointment can be the most difficult. Sometimes people make an appointment but never show up because fear sets in: fear of being judged, fear of being blamed or fear that they won't get the kind of help they really need. Your counselor at Christian Counseling and Wellness Center will make every effort to make you feel comfortable, welcome and safe. It takes strength and courage to step out of one's fear, to reach out and seek the help you need. God doesn't mean for us to go it alone. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever (Psalms 73:26). Christ teaches us to stand firm in the faith, to be a person of courage, and to be strong (1Cor.16:13), but He also knows from personal experience the rocky paths and the rushing rivers we have to cross. He knows our broken places and loves us anyway beyond all measure. He is our strength when we feel weak, and never makes us do anything beyond what we can endure. Think of this when you're tempted to turn away from taking that first step. Ask God to guide your decisions and behavior: “Show me your ways, Lord, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.”Psalm 25:4-5 NIV. Then, if you feel He is leading you into a counseling setting, He will give you the strength to take that step.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What concerns are addressed in Counseling? People seek counseling for a wide range of concerns including (but not limited to) depression, anxiety, stress, family or personal crises, marital/relationship problems, divorce, trauma. Other people seek counseling because they may be experiencing a difficult life challenge or decision and need a safe place to sort through thoughts and feelings so they can move forward.
2. What can I expect at my first appointment? Usually clients come in a few minutes early to fill out paperwork. Then you and your counselor will discuss what your concerns are, what your goals for counseling are, what treatment options are available. Your counselor will also ask you about your background and personal history. You can share on a level that feels comfortable to you. Your counselor will make recommendations based on her evaluation of your situation and issues.
3. How long are the sessions? Sessions are usually 50 minutes in length. Sometimes marital counseling sessions are longer (90 minutes) and most people see their counselor once a week for consistent progress to be made.
4. How much does it cost? A typical counseling session costs $75. However, Christian Counseling and Wellness Center offers a sliding scale fee. If you have concerns regarding affording counseling we can discuss these and whether or not you meet the guidelines for a sliding fee scale. It is our goal to work out mutually agreeable payment options with all clients so that cost does not hinder you from pursuing counseling.
5. Will my discussion with the counselor be confidential? All conversations with your counselor are private and confidential. Only in rare exceptions when the safety of the client or other is at risk can disclosure of confidential client-therapist information take place.
6. Are you a Christian counselor and how does it influence your treatment? I am a Christian who happens to be a psychologist. I believe that our Lord and Savior is THE GREAT COUNSELOR and being guided by Him, having faith and trust in God and His Word, and being led by the Holy Spirit is truly the only way I can help clients move forward in the healing process. I believe God has helped me all along the way to achieve academic
training and experience and He uses this to help my clients. But without Him in the room, I can do nothing that really matters.
7. How do I make an appointment? You can either call the office at 909-866-7523; or contact me (Dr. de Villiers) directly at 858-229-7188 or email email@example.com. “For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.” Isaiah 41:13 NIV
The Christian Counseling and Wellness Center’s mission endeavors to bring individualized and quality Christian counseling services to struggling and hurting people as well as varied wellness programs to foster optimal health. Licensed therapists, intern therapists, and licensed nurses strive to guide and assist clients. Being a faith-based counseling and wellness center, we also encourage each client to explore their faith or their thoughts about why they have not embraced faith, so that they might experience a fuller and lasting recovery.